Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 Agp Arctic Accelero L2 Plus Vers (Read 5383 times)
ciacara
YaBB Newbies

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 Agp Arctic Accelero L2 Plus Vers
27. Feb 2020 at 10:03
Print Post  
Hello to all,
I'm always looking for improvements to apply to our beloved 3Dfx and this time I decided to focus on dissipation.
In the last Mods I have used Zalman heatsinks which have given excellent results.
The aesthetics of 3Dfx improved but did not come close to the current cooling systems installed on video cards.
The result I wanted was like this:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I have often researched dual GPU solutions on the web but none of them fit the size of a V5 5500.
During these searches I found Arctic heatsinks that could adapt to the dissipation of the VSA-100 GPU, this is the Accelero Mono Plus:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Due to the Heatpipes that hinder the coupling of two heatsinks, the dissipating surface dedicated to the GPU and the fixing system of the fans on the heatsink, I have given up using this model.

My attention has shifted to the Arctic Accelero L2 Plus:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The structure of the aluminum radiator and the surface dedicated to the dissipation of the GPU were ideal for the project I wanted to carry out.
So, I crossed my fingers and bought two Arctic Accelero L2 Plus.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Heat Sink Coupling:
The first thing I had to do was to pair the two radiators.
After checking the wheelbase of the two VSA-100s of the V5 5500, I coupled the two radiators to obtain the wheelbase I needed and I marked the excess parts to be cut:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I preferred to cut only one radiator to leave the other intact.

Dissipating Surface:
As you can see from the photos, the surface dedicated to the dissipation of the GPU was rough.
To optimize the contact and dissipation of the VSA-100, I lightly sanded the heatsink:

The result obtained is ideal for dissipating the VSA-100 chip.

Heatsink fixing:
For fixing the heat sinks on the V5 5500 I wanted to use the holes provided on the heat sink bracket.
Unfortunately the wheelbase did not match the holes of the V5 5500.
I decided to create two new 3 mm diameter holes to fix the heatsinks on the V5 5500:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Quick Fixing:
For quick fixing and disassembly I purchased snap clips and installed them on the radiator brackets:

Bracket cutting v1.0:
After checking the installation of the radiator brackets, I modified the VSA-100 n°2 bracket because it was hindered by the capacitors near the VSA chip and by the original 3Dfx fan connection:

Bracket cutting v2.0:
Later, I also modified the VSA-100 n°1 bracket because it was hampered by the attack of the original 3Dfx fan:

Bracket pre-assembly:
After checking the assembly on the V5 5500 did I mount the brackets:

Fan Mod:
I chose the Arctic Accelero L2 Plus also because the fixing system of the fans on the radiator was ideal for my project.
It allowed me to slide the fan freely on the radiator because it had only one fixing point.

To obtain this result and to couple the fans, I cut them on one side flush with the radiator.

Ram heatsinks:
The Arctic Accelero L2 Plus is sold with two kits of 8 heatsinks for the ram chips of the video card.
A thermal conductive glue is provided for fixing the ram heatsinks.
We lovers of the 3Dfx world know what it means to detach the heat sinks attached to the chip with thermo conductive glue ... I hate it ... Angry
I prefer to use thermo-conductive double-sided tape.
Before installing the GPU heatsinks, I installed all the ram heatsinks with the thermo conductive double-sided tape:

Installation of GPU Heatsinks and Fans:
I prepared the two VSA-100s with Arctic MX-4 thermal grease and installed the GPU heatsink:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I installed the fans on the heatsink:

I fixed the fan cables (v1.0) with double-sided tape:

Fan power supply v1.0:
The fans of the Accelero L2 Plus have a connector identical to the original one of the V5 5500.
Unfortunately for 2000Rpm the necessary voltage is 12V 0.12A, while the voodoo provides a power supply of 5v 0.13A (data taken from the original fans).
Also with the Arctic Accelero L2 Plus, a Mollex adapter is provided with two power connectors for the fans, one 7v and one 12v
To power the fans with 12v and take advantage of 2000Rpm, I modified this adapter making both connectors 12V.
Then I created a cable with two Mollexes, one passing Male / Female to always be installed on the V5 5500, the other to be connected directly to the modified fan adapter:

Fan power supply v2.0:
The end result is truly satisfying, just as I originally designed it, but there is still room for improvement.
For this reason I started working on the power supply of the fans and looking for a solution to "hide" it definitively.
So, taking advantage of the adapters supplied with L'Arctic Accelero L2 Plus, I created a single 12v power cable which, in case of need, can become 7v.
With the Mollex Male/Female connector I can change the voltage from 12v to 7v by simply moving the Pin from position 2 to position 4.
This is the final result:

However, we were missing something that definitively identified what this New Heatsink was created for:

The 3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 Agp Arctic Accelero L2 Plus Version v1.0:

The 3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 Agp Arctic Accelero L2 Plus Version v2.0:
These are the images of the Final Version of the Voodoo5 5500 after the last modification of the heat sink brackets and the fan power supply.

The 3Dfx logo was designed and made available by the  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links), thank you very much Friend! Wink

Passive Cooling:
Given the amount of heat sinks and the various requests from users of the various 3Dfx communities, I decided to test the Voodoo5 5500 in a totally Passive cooling version:

Temperature Test:
To verify the actual improvement acquired with the new Arctic heatsinks, I tested the Voodoo5 5500 with the following configurations:

• •      V5 5500 Standard heatsinks
  • •      V5 5500 Zalman ZM-NB32K heatsinks
  • •      V5 5500 Arctic Accelero L2 Plus Fanless Passive Cooling heatsinks
  • •      V5 5500 Arctic Accelero L2 Plus 7v heatsinks Active Cooling
  • •      V5 5500 Arctic Accelero L2 Plus 12v heatsinks Active Cooling

Each of these configurations has been tested in 4 different situations:

• •      PC-ON 800x600 16Bit 60Hz
  • •      3DMark99 Standard Benchmark
  • •      3DMark99 Demo 800x600 16Bit 60Hz
  • •      Unreal Time Demo 1280x1024 16Bit 60Hz 77Fps

To verify system stability, the tests lasted 90 minutes.
The test hardware was installed in an open case, with no accessory cooling fans.
Temperatures were measured, in 10-minute intervals, on the front and rear of the V5 5500.
At the front of the V5 5500, a contact thermal probe was placed in the hottest point of the heat sink.
For the measurements in the rear of the V5 5500, the thermal probe was placed in the center of the Vsa-100 which developed more heat.
In addition to the contact thermal probe, I used an infrared thermal detector with laser pointer.
I compared the temperatures detected, of both measurement systems, and I always reported the higher of the two thermal measurements.
These are the test results, connected directly to linear graphs, which will allow you to check the individual test phases with a simple mouse click:

V5 5500 Standard Heatsinks
Back Pcb:

Front Pcb:

V5 5500 Zalman ZM-NB32K heatsinks
Back Pcb:

Front Pcb:

V5 5500 Arctic Accelero L2 Plus Fanless Passive Cooling Heatsinks
Back Pcb:

Front Pcb:

V5 5500 Arctic Accelero L2 Plus 7v Heatsinks Active Cooling
Back Pcb:

Front Pcb:

V5 5500 Arctic Accelero L2 Plus 12v Heatsinks Active Cooling
Back Pcb:

Front Pcb:

The results obtained with the new Arctic Accelero L2 Plus heatsink are amazing.
The Fanless Passive Cooling configuration has a higher dissipation than the configuration with the standard heatsinks of the V5 5500.
Zalman heatsinks, which have done their job very well all this time, cannot compete against the Accelero L2 Plus
The Accelero L2 Plus 7v. Active Cooling holds high temperatures very well and, in some cases, compares well with the 12v version Active Cooling.
The Accelero L2 Plus 12v. Active Cooling, also given the very low noise, wins the comparison in all tests.

Overclock Test:
I tested the 3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 Agp with the new heatsinks and the overclocking performance gain of the VSA-100 GPU in Sli and 6/7 Mhz compared to the overclock obtained with the Zalman previously installed.
And for our VSA-100 6 / 7Mhz more they are a really nice boost.
All this without accessory fans that convey the air to the V5 5500.

Fan Noise Test:
The current fan noise is 29dBA at 2000Rpm.
Compared to the original fans it is really a great leap in quality.

Benchmark Test:
Soon I will test the V5 5500 and post the new results and hope for a new Record ...Shockedk:

Video & Test:

Video that collects all the photos of this project:

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 Agp and Arctic Accelero L2 Plus Assembly Tutorial:

As requested by users of various 3Dfx communities, in this Video we will see how to correctly assemble the new Modified Arctic component for cooling the VSA-100 GPU of the Voodoo5 5500 Agp.

I think this heatsink can also be used for some "White 3Dfx New Prototype" ... Wink Smiley

Thanks to 3dfx.pl for allowing me to publish this Thread. Wink

3DFX:
Gone But Never Forgotten!

My last Works...Wink (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
I am sorry for my English Wink Cheesy
IP Logged

forteller

Overclocking since 2003

Re: 3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 Agp Arctic Accelero L2 Plus Vers
Reply #1 - 27. Feb 2020 at 13:22
Print Post  
That is truly amazing, that you have a courage to tinker with such a exotic card. Result looks... modern. I am sure that not everyone will like it, but to me your work is just outstanding.

To naprawdę niesamowite, że masz odwagę eksperymentować z tak egzotyczną kartą. Wynik jest... nowoczesny. Jestem pewien, że nie wszystkim będzie się podobać, ale dla mnie wygląda świetnie.

Mam za dużo zestawów i za dużo tekstu naprodukowałem aby to wszystko tutaj pomieścić...
IP Logged

Neo

OC freak

Reply #2 - 27. Feb 2020 at 14:49
Print Post  
Wow, well done! But is running the fans at full speed really necessary? I think it would perform adequately at 7V. And what's the final frequency as I haven't seen your Zalman results?

DIY woodbox: AMD 386DX40, 8MB RAM, Trident TVGA9000C 512kB, Aztech Pro16 ABI (AZT2316), Primax SoundStorm Wave M16B 1MB (GUS Classic clone), ST3491A
Socket 7: AOpen AP59s, Cyrix M II-300GP (225 MHz), 64MB SDRAM, SiS 6326 8MB SGRAM, SB32 CT3670 8MB, 9.1 GB IBM SCSI HDD, Win98FE
Socket A: WinFast K7S741, Sempron 2400+ @1960MHz water cooled, 1 GB DDR400, WinFast Geforce 6600 128MB, Audigy SB0090, PCI SATA card (SIL3114), 80GB IDE HDD 3.5", 160GB SATA HDD 2.5",
IP Logged

Callahan
VIP Member

Reply #3 - 27. Feb 2020 at 16:33
Print Post  
Hmmm... nicely done! Pretty piece of good work. Those two fans, are... so big  Wink so modernish  Roll Eyes

HP XU 6/200 2x PII-ODP/512MB/VB/SCSI/NT 4.0
PR440FX 2x PII-ODP/1GB/V4/SCSI/NT 4.0 CS4237B+CT1920
Super S2DG2 2x550@2MB/1GB/V5/SCSI/YamahaXG/Win2000

IP Logged

ciacara
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 27. Feb 2020 at 17:53
Print Post  
forteller wrote on 27. Feb 2020 at 13:22:
That is truly amazing, that you have a courage to tinker with such a exotic card. Result looks... modern. I am sure that not everyone will like it, but to me your work is just outstanding.

Thanks forteller,
if you think about it all the changes have been applied only on the Dissipatpre and the fans.
The voodoo5 is exactly like when mom 3Dfx made it ...Wink
For the rest, I already know that not everyone will like it, but it is my personal search for modernity and performance that I obtained with this excellent Arctic heatsink.

Neo wrote on 27. Feb 2020 at 14:49:
Wow, well done! But is running the fans at full speed really necessary? I think it would perform adequately at 7V. And what's the final frequency as I haven't seen your Zalman results?

Thanks Neo,
The Arctic fan spins from 400rpm to 2000rpm.
I would like to test the connectors of the v5 5500 which should be at 5v 0.13A but I don't know if the voltage allows the right rotation, even minimal ...

These are the last tests I had done with the Zalman:

With bios 1.18 166/166mhz @190 mhz stable, without artifacts ...
Obtained with fans that cooled the rear of the V5 and another fan that blew air on the Zalman.

The 196 / 197mhz were obtained using only the Arctic heat sinks mounted on the 3dfx board ...Wink

Callahan wrote on 27. Feb 2020 at 16:33:
Hmmm... nicely done! Pretty piece of good work. Those two fans, are... so big  Wink so modernish  Roll Eyes

Thanks Callahan,
they are large, modern and heavy ... more than 600g ... Wink
For this reason, when I install the V5 5500 in the Case, I will mount a custom 3Dfx Vga Bracket ... Wink

My last Works...Wink (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

MarianX
VIP Member

Reply #5 - 27. Feb 2020 at 19:33
Print Post  
Hi ciacara!

I admire your work. I mean this thread and the one from your signature. Yes, the card looks modern but it doesn't matter because Voodoo5 is a pretty card and will be pretty even in the mud Wink And those big round coolers... look like boobs Grin Is it only me who sees it?

What projects are you planning now? Smiley

IP Logged

Callahan
VIP Member

Reply #6 - 27. Feb 2020 at 22:12
Print Post  
Can You measure temp of VSA with this cooling?
Using even cheap type pyrometer You can measure temp precisely. Backside of VSA is good place for it...i think.

IP Logged

ciacara
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 27. Feb 2020 at 22:31
Print Post  
MarianX wrote on 27. Feb 2020 at 19:33:
Hi ciacara!

I admire your work. I mean this thread and the one from your signature. Yes, the card looks modern but it doesn't matter because Voodoo5 is a pretty card and will be pretty even in the mud Wink And those big round coolers... look like boobs Grin Is it only me who sees it?

What projects are you planning now? Smiley

Thanks MarianX,
in fact it is for this reason that I like these fans so much ...Wink

If we want to use a metaphor, and how to read many books at the same time ... if you want to finish reading you have to concentrate on one book ...Wink
The ideas are many but to realize them I have to face them one at a time and now I'm focused on this small project.

Callahan wrote on 27. Feb 2020 at 22:12:
Can You measure temp of VSA with this cooling?
Using even cheap type pyrometer You can measure temp precisely. Backside of VSA is good place for it...i think.

Do you want to make measurements with voodoo in standard mode? ... in overclock mode? ... after hours of testing or playing?
What do you suggest friend?

IP Logged

ciacara
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 28. Feb 2020 at 12:05
Print Post  
Update:
Added to the first post the totally Passive Cooling Version ...Wink

IP Logged

ciacara
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 06. Mar 2020 at 03:37
Print Post  
Update to v2.0 the section:

Bracket cutting
Fan power supply

Updated also the Photo section with 3Dfx by deflipe logo with the final version of the 3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 Agp Arctic Accelero L2 Plus Version v2.0.

Prepared the Test Temperature, Overclock, Fan Noise, Benchmark section for entering the results .Wink

Moved to the end of the Post section with Passive Cooling .Wink

General Refresh first Post. Smiley

IP Logged

Callahan
VIP Member

Reply #10 - 06. Mar 2020 at 20:05
Print Post  
I just want to know what temps are on chip with this huge cooling  Smiley
VSA typical get 50stC or higher...

IP Logged

ciacara
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - 06. Mar 2020 at 22:04
Print Post  
Callahan wrote on 06. Mar 2020 at 20:05:
I just want to know what temps are on chip with this huge cooling  Smiley
VSA typical get 50stC or higher...

ok, as soon as I have completed all tests I will post the results ...Wink

IP Logged

ciacara
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 10. Mar 2020 at 16:17
Print Post  
Update:

Added Video that collects all the photos of this project... Wink

IP Logged

ciacara
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - 24. Mar 2020 at 20:49
Print Post  
Update:

Added 3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 Agp and Arctic Accelero L2 Plus Assembly Video Tutorial.
Good watching ... Wink

IP Logged

Godlike
YaBB Newbies

3dfx

Reply #14 - 23. Apr 2020 at 21:20
Print Post  
Really nice work, especially with radiators. Plastic casing and fans itself looks modern. Someone may like it, but I prefer to keep it old as the card itself. Only IMHO

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top